[Bldg-sim] Why should roofs have high emissivity?

Bishop, Bill wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com
Wed Dec 2 04:38:00 PST 2009

I'll add some general info to the discussion and do a little summing up.

LBL has studied emissivity and reflectance and has annual energy impact
results for hot and cold climates:
http://eetd.lbl.gov/HeatIsland/CoolRoofs/HeatTransfer/Heating.html

The Heat Island Group has a lot of information available pertinent to
the emissivity discussion:
http://eetd.lbl.gov/HeatIsland/

We've been focusing on roofs, but window design also has to consider the
same effects. For glazing, we add the property of transmissivity
(radiation passing through the surface) and we have to get more specific
about the types of radiation (solar, visible, UV, infrared) and the
direction (outside vs. inside, as well as angle of incidence).
http://www.commercialwindows.umn.edu/issues_energy1.php

For opaque building surfaces, such as roofs, walls and window frames, it
is understood that unless stated otherwise:
Reflectivity and absorptivity values are for solar radiation.
Emissivity values are for thermal/far-infrared radiation.

1 - reflectivity = absorptivity

So when ASHRAE 90.1 Table G3.1 requires you to model a roof reflectivity
of 0.30, you can use an absorptance of 0.70 (such as when modeling in
eQUEST).

While there are technical distinctions, the following terms are
generally used interchangeably:
Reflectance/reflectivity
Absorptance/absorptivity
Emittance/emissivity

~Bill

William Bishop, EIT, LEED(r) AP | Pathfinder Engineers & Architects LLP
Mechanical Engineer

134 South Fitzhugh Street
Rochester, NY 14608
T: (585) 325-6004 Ext. 114