[Bldg-sim] Why should roofs have high emissivity?

Ralph Muehleisen muehleisen at iit.edu
Wed Dec 2 08:48:13 PST 2009

True indeed.

Except when your roofs are not covered with snow.

Here in Chicago, at least the past few years,  snow has come in bigger
chunks with more warmi and cold periods in between.  And rooftop snow has
been melting during the warm periods so  rooftops have been bare for more of
the winter.

It would be an interesting study (maybe I can find an undergrad or
interested masters student) to actually look at a typical flat roof small
commercial building and see if the increased summer efficiency of cooling
equipment from a cool roof offsets the increased winter heating load.

Ralph

Ralph Muehleisen, Ph.D., P.E., LEED AP, FASA
Assistant Professor and Director of the Miller Acoustics Lab
Civil, Architectural and Environmental Engineering
Illinois Institute of Technology
Chicago, IL 60616
muehleisen at iit.edu
tel: 312-567-3545  fax:312-567-3519