[Bldg-sim] thermal loads in factories?

James V Dirkes II, PE jvd2pe at tds.net
Sat Dec 5 06:54:02 PST 2009

Dear Dr. Schwede,

In my opinion, there are several issues which affect your design criteria:
1) Manufacturing / process loads can easily exceed 500W / m2.  It is
certainly not practical to design a cooling system for this when the actual
load may be 5W / m2!
2) The actual value is rarely known by the client and is difficult to
determine without measurement of a similar, existing installation.  A rough
estimate can be obtained by dividing monthly usage by the operating hours,
but this method does not indicate peak loads, just average loads.
3) High electrical loads often affect only the cooling system and many /
most manufacturing occupancies do not provide cooling.  The exception to
this is when high amounts of ventilation air are required.
4) For "light production" loads, you may still find that the cooling system
size can vary dramatically.  Over-sized systems, of course, do not perform
very well for humidity control and may have shortened life due to high
cycling frequency at the low capacities.

With these in mind, I think that it is helpful for the designer to state
that "The cooling system is capable of maintaining xxC in the space on a
design day with yyyW / m2 of internal loads.  The customer is responsible
for providing additional cooling capacity for internal loads higher than
this."  In the US, it is common to provide a very basic heating system and
no cooling system for this type of leased / rented industrial facility.
Office areas are provided with a simple cooling system.  Any additional
capacity is provided by the customer when they lease the space.  This seems
like a good approach for you!

p.s., Since this is a modeling forum, it's worth mentioning that energy use
in a manufacturing facility can easily be 95% manufacturing / process loads
and 5% envelope loads.  For buildings with high internal loads, it can even
be beneficial to have NO insulation, since you are trying to reject heat all
year.

The Building Performance Team
James V. Dirkes II, P.E., LEED AP
1631 Acacia Drive NW