[Bldg-sim] help in PhD research - solar chimney simulation

Paul Carey paul at zed-uk.com
Thu Dec 10 15:08:54 PST 2009

Hi Leticia

I note you are going to be attending the DesignBuilder webinar I'm giving
soon, so hopefully I'll be able to cover things in that which will allow you
to see how this could to some extent be carried out in DesignBuilder E+ and
CFD.

I would however note, the issue of flow instability will be difficult to
correctly establish and model in many tools.   Further, as you will need to
consider the effects of buoyancy combined with wind effects on chimneys, I'm
not certain that the algorithms used in the E+ will be able to deal with
this sufficiently accurately to allow comparison with the test cell.
Perhaps others on this list might be able to provide further insight on
this, but things that spring to mind include unsteady flow effects and
discharge coefficient variation.  At the very least your modelling will
require careful application of appropriate wind surface coefficient values
in the E+ model but I won't go into too much here as it will bore everyone
else rigid.  It is possible to get reasonable comparison as is pointed out
in the following IJoV paper, but I think you may be forced down the route of
complex turbulence modelling to get good accuracy of your CFD which may
force you down an alternative software route.   That being the case, it will
still be worth carrying out the E+ model and getting some boundary
conditions that puts your CFD simulations in the right area first off and
hence should increase the accuracy of them or at least allow them to get
somewhere near a reasonable solution.  You might want to check out FDS which
will allow you to carry out transient LES turbulence models which I think
will be better for your research.

I'll try and get an electronic copy of my PhD thesis together for you and
you might also wish to check out the links to following papers that might
help you:

http://www.ijovent.org.uk/IJV%20Vol%204/IJV%20V4%20No%204/IJV%20Abstract%20V
ol%204%20No4%20Paper%204.htm

http://bse.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/20/3/131 (CIBSE BSERT paper
based on early portion of my research)

http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0167610599001361

Regards

Paul

cid:image001.jpg at 01CA48E6.60E6D920

Dr Paul Carey

BSc (Hons) PhD FRSA

Director

Low Carbon Energy Assessor

Zero Energy Design Ltd

10A Portland Place

2-22 Mottram Road

Stalybridge

SK15 3AD

T:  0161 3386200

F:  0161 3031281

M: 0789 4098012

E:   <mailto:paul at zed-uk.com> paul at zed-uk.com

W:   <http://www.zed-uk.com> www.zed-uk.com

cid:image002.jpg at 01CA48E6.60E6D920

cid:image003.jpg at 01CA48E6.60E6D920

Certificate No: GB16647

cid:image004.jpg at 01CA48E6.60E6D920

Certificate No: GB16646

Please carefully consider the environment before you print this email.

Company Registered in England & Wales.  Registration No. 5815068

Registered Address: 10A Portland Place, 2-22 Mottram Road, Stalybridge, SK15
3AD, UK.

Privilege and Confidentiality Notice:

This email and any attachments to it are intended only for the party to whom
they are addressed.  They may contain privileged and/or confidential
information.  If you have received this transmission in error, please notify
the sender immediately and delete any digital copies and destroy any paper
copies.  Thank you.