[Bldg-sim] Infiltration Schedule

JRR energy.wwind at cox.net
Sat Feb 7 10:25:30 PST 2009

JRR wrote;

    I won an ASME regional design contest prize with my Solar House
design, a graduating
    semester design project. It was later fully detailed and built in
1986. We moved in Jan
   1987. It is basically a LEED Platinum building, one story with
finished basement, 2x6
    studs 24 OC upstairs with 1" XPS sheathing, brick vernier 100%, etc.

    The main surprises vis a vis air infiltration  were / are

    1) The porosity of the above grade basement CMUs allowing air
infiltration.
    2) The top or finish course of CMUs was not always sealed from an
air infiltration
       point of view and many of these CMU cores were hidden behind
finish dry wall
       for years.
    3)The air return duct through the attic even though sealed with
metal tape and covered
       with R-25 batts was not sealed to the attic penetration / wood
surround for years.
    4) One bathroom had an outside wall stud space with no insulation at
all - it contained
       the plumbing  vent stack. The framing crew and insulation crews
thought we were
       'over insulated' and just didn't need it.
    5) None of the plumbing stacks were sealed at the attic penetration
on the outside
       by the work crews.
    6) The Active Solar plumbing penetrations were not sealed at the
attic penetration
       by the work crews.
    7) Rodentia bent the clothes dryer outside vent flap so severely
that it would not close
       completely on its own, but we never had mice enter the house via
this access.
    8) Conventional plumbing stack boots, black rubber, were utterly
destroyed by the
       heat from the Active Solar pipes. We made silicon rubber fittings
to replace them.
       We run an oversquare ( more sq ft collector than gal of tankage )
system with 6/12
       slope 20 degrees W of S at  ~ 38:45 N. We use the active system
for more than
       domestic hot water. Since we sabotaged the evil tempering valve =-O
       we have all metal bodied valves through out the house and a
stainless steel tub on the
       dishwasher.
    9) None of these problems was detected by a military grade IR video
shot from outside
       the house in freezing cold weather.  IR shot inside the attic was
extremely revealing.
    10) Leak testing has to be done during windy weather -- the leaks
act in concert., and
       CFD considerations show that differing pressures exist at
specific locations.

Our all electric bill for 4500 sq ft this last December was  $72.00

We are developing a new version of this house with architectural as well
as energy improvements.

John R Ross III PE
Westwind Corporation
Vienna, VA  22182-1958