[Bldg-sim] chilled water pump power

James V. Dirkes II P.E. jvd2pe at tds.net
Thu Jan 8 17:19:32 PST 2009

Dear Bill,

I don't think I follow your logic.  If the total plant head (primary plus
secondary) is ~100 ft., and assuming that water flow is about the same for
both primary and secondary, then your calcs indicate that 22W is a
reasonable number for the pumping system efficiency.

This is essentially the same scenario that I intended to use below.  The
primary side would use, say, 30ft of head and the secondary side would use
~70ft.  If the total head is greater than that, it (obviously) becomes
tougher to comply with 22W / gpm.

That said, I haven't modeled a System #7 or 8 per Appendix G yet, so I'm
just hypothesizing!

p.s., I think it will be tough to get a combined wire-water efficiency of
85%!

The Building Performance Team
James V. Dirkes II, P.E., LEED AP
1631 Acacia Drive NW