[Bldg-sim] System Fan Power in Appendix G

Paul Erickson perickson at aeieng.com
Sat Jan 24 10:18:41 PST 2009

Sam,

Option 1 is the correct way to model.  It is painful for a lab building, yes.  Designs are often 50-100% higher in horsepower than what is allowable per Appendix G.  It's very important to help the design team understand this and emphasize the importance of finding ways to reduce the fan bhp.

Paul

Paul Erickson
Sustainable Team Leader
Affiliated Engineers, Inc
www.aeieng.com ( http://www.aeieng.com/ )
608.236.1112
303.859.7523 - c
 ( mailto:mschrader at aeieng.com )

PPlease consider the environment before printing thismessage.

>>> "Sam Mason" <sam.mason at atelierten.com> 01/22/09 11:10 AM >>>
Mike,
Option 1 does seem to be the correct way to model. However, for a few
lab buildings following this method, the fans used almost twice as much
energy in the proposed model as the baseline, so option 2 was used.
Also, if you bunch all of the fan energy into the supply, would it be
possible to model 24/7 constant volume supply or exhaust (fume hoods or
clean rooms) on the same system?

Sam

--
Sam Mason