[Bldg-sim] Appendix G Fan Power

Vikram Sami VSami at lasarchitect.com
Wed Jul 1 15:02:39 PDT 2009

G3.1.2.9 Gives you a formula for calculating system fan electrical power
for supply, return, exhaust and relief. Lets sat I have a zone with a
PSZ-HP that has a supply volume of 1500 cfm. Using this formula along
with table G3.1.2.9 I get a fan horse power of 1.29 and kW of 1.17. This
equates to 0.00078 kW/cfm - which seems really high.

The second part to my question is assuming I have 500cfm of exhaust in
this zone, do I apply the same kW/cfm to the exhaust fans as well as the
return fans? It seems that the lower the fan volume the more inefficient
the Appendix G values get from these tables.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Vikram Sami, LEED AP
Direct Phone 404-253-1466 | Direct Fax 404-253-1366

LORD, AECK & SARGENT ARCHITECTURE
1201 Peachtree Street NE, Suite 300, Atlanta, GA 30361
Responsive Design * Technological Expertise * Exceptional Service
Please visit our new website | www.lordaecksargent.com
<file:///\\www.lordaecksargent.com\>

P Think GREEN before you print.