[Bldg-sim] *.BIN data for Iraq or Iran

Joe Huang joe at drawbdl.com
Mon Jul 27 15:12:29 PDT 2009

Linda,

I don't have any weather files for Iraq, but I did create two TMY
weather files for Tehran back in 2006. The following note explains their
derivation. Since Bldg-sim does not accept attachments, I will send the
  *.bin files to you in a separate e-mail.

I also wish to inform all those interested in international weather data
that I'm a month or two away from completing ASHRAE RP-1477,
"Development of 2,500 weather files for international locations".
When that product has been accepted and released by ASHRAE, probably by
the end of 2009, this will make available "typical year" weather files
for over 3,000  international, i.e., non-US/Canada, locations.

That IWEC2 weather data set will include at least 22 locations in Iran,
but alas, still none in Iraq.

May I ask more specifics on your need for weather data in Iran and Iraq?
Despite their proximity to each other, the weather in the two countries
is very distinct.

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies

-------------------
MEMORANDUM

Re: Two Typical Year Weather Files for Tehran
From: Joe Huang, White Box Technologies
Date: March 5, 2007

Two Typical Year Weather Files have been created for Tehran from weather
data for 1961 through 2003 published by the Islamic Republic of Iran
Meteorological Organization (IRIMO)s for Tehran Mehrabad, WMO number
407540, latitude 35.683N, longitude 51.317E, elevation 1190.8 meters,
time zone GMT+3.50.

The IRIMO weather data consists of 3-hour records of dry-bulb, wet-bulb,
and dewpoint temperature, relative humidity, pressure, wind speed and
direction, and cloud amount. Total and direct normal solar radiation has
been estimated using the Zhang-Huang model based on the reported cloud
cover, temperature change over 3 hours, relative humidity, and wind speed.

For the TEHR1TMY weather file, typical months were selected from 30
years of weather data from 1973 through 2003.  The 12 typical months
were taken from the following years: 1996, 1988, 1987, 1991, 1976, 1993,
1985, 2002, 1988, 1981, 1987, 1979 For the TEHR2TMY weather file,
typical months were selected from the most recent twelve years of
weather data from 1992 through 2003.  The 12 typical months were taken
from the following years: 1999, 2003, 2003, 1995, 1994, 1995, 1997,
1996, 2003, 2001, 2002, 1997.

Because the typical months have been selected from more recent years,
the TEHR2TMY weather file is somewhat warmer, with lower Heating Degree
Days and higher Cooling Degree Days, than the TEHR1TMY weather file. The
amount of solar radiation is similar between the two files (see table
below).

	                      		    TEHR1TMY	THER2TMY
18C Heating Degree-days				1739	1517
18C Cooling Degree-days				1526	1565
Average Daily Direct Solar Radiation (Wh/m2)	5573	5400
Average Daily Global Solar Radiation (Wh/m2)	5091	5018