[Bldg-sim] Infiltration

Paul Carey paul at zed-uk.com
Mon Jun 29 08:03:49 PDT 2009

Tim,

Infiltration is something we need to model in the vast majority of the
buildings we simulate.

There is a mass of empirical data that has gone behind the tables provided
in the CIBSE guides, which was mostly collected by both the UK BRE and
BSRIA.  You could also try the AIVC which has a number of publications on
infiltration testing and in particular a useful book called "Numerical Data
for Air Infiltration and Natural Ventilation Calculations" by Orme,
Liddament & Wilson.  It was reprinted with amendments in 1998 and so is
slightly old now, but it is a good starting point for looking at the overall
numbers to use and the basis for why.

I think you should also try CIBSE Guide A which has some useful tables on
infiltration rates to use - an example and extract of which is below (Part L
denotes UK building regulations for energy consumption):

Air Permeability

Infiltration Rate (ac/h)

Peak

Average

20 (leaky)

0.95

0.70

10 (Part-L 2002)

0.50

0.35

7 (Part-L 2006)

0.35

0.25

5

0.25

0.20

3

0.15

0.10

>From CIBSE Guide A Table 4.13 for 2 storey 500m2 naturally ventilated
offices, normal exposure

Generally if you've got a cavity wall installation the chances are the
infiltration rates unless very well monitored for construction quality will
be considerably higher than for something like a composite panel system.  We
see a lot of huge warehouse buildings that have significantly lower
infiltration rates than domestic dwellings (per m2) because of the ease of
constructing large warehouse with good detailing.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Dr Paul Carey

BSc (Hons) PhD FRSA

Director

Low Carbon Energy Assessor

Zero Energy Design Ltd

10A Portland Place

2-22 Mottram Road

Stalybridge

SK15 3AD

T:  0161 3386200

F:  0161 3031281

M: 0789 4098012

E:  paul at zed-uk.com

W:  www.zed-uk.com

Certificate No: GB16647

Certificate No: GB16646

Please carefully consider the environment before you print this email.

Company Registered in England & Wales.  Registration No. 5815068

Registered Address: 10A Portland Place, 2-22 Mottram Road, Stalybridge, SK15
3AD, UK.

Privilege and Confidentiality Notice:

This email and any attachments to it are intended only for the party to whom
they are addressed.  They may contain privileged and/or confidential
information.  If you have received this transmission in error, please notify
the sender immediately and delete any digital copies and destroy any paper
copies.  Thank you.