[Bldg-sim] Help: Simulation of External Zone_Courtyard

RACHIT KUMAR rachitkumar11 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 08:25:50 PDT 2009

Hello

I am trying to understand the thermal comfort of the courtyard with varying
proportions, height, glazing (building glazing adjacent to courtyard) in
different climatic zones of India. I want to study the thermal comfort only
till 10 feet height of the courtyard from ground level (average operable
temperature of the courtyard zone till 10 feet height).

So few questions regarding model and simulation tools:
1) Which tool can model and simulate outdoor spaces (courtyard) ?
2) How to make a open courtyard as a zone? Courtyard is a part of building.
3) I need to make a virtual horizontal partition in the courtyard at a
height of 10 feet from ground floor.

I tried some simulation on Design Builder but could not get correct results.

I don't want to use CFD because I am interested in hourly thermal
performance of the courtyard and want to find the comfortable hours
throughout the year. Kindly help me.

Thanks

Rachit