[Bldg-sim] Chilled Water Loop / Bldg Modeling

James V. Dirkes II P.E. jvd2pe at tds.net
Tue Mar 3 08:51:56 PST 2009

Dear Jason,

Assuming that you've got the campus HVAC wired to a BMS, I'd consider
gathering data and doing a regression analysis using key parameters to
predict energy or load.

There are hundreds of variables which affect actual load, including poorly
calibrated sensors, leaking control valves, etc. which are not well
addressed by ANY modeling software.  On the other hand, you already have the
actual usage data and can get concurrent weather data.  even assuming that
you'll spend significant time tuning the regression, I think you'll be MANY
hours ahead and have a more accurate model from which to make improvements.

p.s., I'm no stats wizard.  If you aren't either, there are many on a
typical University campus that would probably love a real  problem to
solve....

The Building Performance Team
James V. Dirkes II, P.E., LEED AP
1631 Acacia Drive NW