[Bldg-sim] IES VE: Radiant, hollow core ceiling

Timothy Moore timothy.moore at iesve.com
Fri Mar 6 00:59:29 PST 2009

Rebecca and others,

Modeling air-cooled (or heated), hollow-core radiant slabs (such as TermoDeck) within IES Virtual Environment is a relatively straightforward matter:

1) Include the hollow-core geometry in your model. This must be segmented to properly capture the changing delta-T over distance as the supply air gains heat while passing through any sections of the floor cavity that are going to be in series rather than parallel configurations.

2) If the hollow core is cooled via natural ventilation, then the volume of the core spaces needs to be coupled to the plenums or zones that include the operable openings. Like windows or other operable openings in the occupied spaces, these openings can be controlled via schedules, interior conditions, climate variables, or formulae including any of these. The coupled MacroFlo dynamic bulk airflow modler within the VE will need to run whenever natural ventialtion is to be acconted for, but not if there were no operable windows and the hollow-coore was to be cooled by mechanically driven supply airflow.

In the case of natural ventialtion, you may also wish to use the MicroFlo CFD tool within the VE to determine the performacne of specific openings, cavities, or occupied spaces under specific conditons. The bulk airflow model and thermal simulation are used to set up initial boundary conditions for the CFD model, and then the results from the CFD run can then inform revision of the operable openings in the dynamic bulk-airflow + thermal modeling. While the CFD work can be valuable in determining performance and refining the model, it is not required to run the dynamic bulk-airflow + thermal modeling of the naturally ventilated spaces, nor is it required for modeling the hollow-core floor.

3) Apply convective heat transfer coefficients to the interior surfaces of the hollow-core material constructions appropriate to the use of this core space as a duct (see ASHRAE Fundamentals for determining appropriate coefficients). You will need to calculate the equivalent air-film resistance, as this is the value you will change, replacing the air-film resistance associated with the default variable coefficient for natural convection in the Constructions dialog. Then open the Derived Parameters dialog from there to confirm that the convective heat transfer coefficient calculated by the VE is what you intended (and thus that you have entered the correct air-film resistance value). Note also that the bottom surface construction of the hollow-core ceiling will be applied as the Ceiling construction for the occupied space below, and therefore the "Outside" surface air-film resistance for this element will be the one facing the interior of the hollow core.

4) If air-cooling or heating of the hollow core is mechanically driven, set up the system in ApacheHVAC with the supply air running through the hollow core geometry as would be done in the actual building. If it is a mixed-mode system, wherein the cavity is alternately cooled by mechanical supply air and natural ventilation, then set up the controls such that these modes hand-off appropriately-i.e., if no overlap is desired, ensure that controllers for both system include common sensed variable and thresholds, and non-overlapping responses at these thresholds.

IES VE is in fact exceptionally well suited to doing this and provides appropriate means of controlling such systems and of accounting for the full range of radiant and convective heat transfer paths involved.

As with any tool, taking the time to first understand how to use the tool properly is important to getting appropriate results.

Timothy Moore
Senior Consultant - Special Projects

Mobile: 415 810 2495
Office: 415 983-0603
timothy.moore at iesve.com <mailto:timothy.moore at iesve.com>
www.iesve.com <https://mail.iesve.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.iesve.com/>

**Design, Simulate + Innovate with the <Virtual Environment>**
<https://mail.iesve.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.iesve.com/disclaimer.html>