[Bldg-sim] Survey regarding types of HVAC systems used?

Joe Huang joe at drawbdl.com
Tue Mar 3 13:09:10 PST 2009

It depends at how specific you want to get in your HVAC
categorizations.  The CBECS data base queries all the buildings in
their data base of ~ 6000 commercial buildings ( ~500 office buildings)
about their main heating and cooling equipment types,
e.g., heat pump, furnace, space heat, district heat, boiler, etc. for
heating, packaged AC, heat pump, central AC, district cooling,
central chiller, evap cooling, etc., for cooling.  Somewhere it's also
possible to get the percentages with economizers and VAV systems.

I did a report on this called "Analysis of 1999 CBECS Data by Commercial
Building Type",  Y.J. Huang, J.A. Roberson, and O. Sezgen,  2005.  It's
a LBNL report (LBNL-57457)!, but I'm not sure if I ever finalized the
paperwork on it.  If you have trouble getting a hold of it, let me know
and I'll see if I can dig up an electronic copy or, barring that, scan
in the hard copy that's on my bookshelf.

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies
(former LBNL Staff Scientist 1981-2007)