[Bldg-sim] Building Infiltration

Doug Maddox DougM at TWGI.com
Tue Mar 10 17:16:37 PDT 2009

My understanding is that if you are doing LEED EBOM certification, the
energy credits are based on actual utility bills post-retrofit via the
Energy Star Portfolio Manager tool.  Modeling is still useful to show
the benefit of the infiltration reduction, but I don't believe you need
to follow Appendix G for LEED EBOM.  Is there some other LEED program
for existing buildings that does use Appendix G?

Doug

-----Original Message-----
From: bldg-sim-bounces at lists.onebuilding.org
[mailto:bldg-sim-bounces at lists.onebuilding.org] On Behalf Of Mark Prince
Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 10:17 AM
To: bldg-sim at lists.onebuilding.org
Subject: [Bldg-sim] Building Infiltration

Hello,

I'm involved with a project that is considering pursuing LEED
certification.  It is a remodel/renovation of an existing office
building.

The existing office building has quite a bit of infiltration.  As part
of the renovation process, the exterior walls are being sprayed with a
foam insulation that will significantly reduce this infiltration.
Someone has asked the question, if we can take credit for this reduction
in infiltration.  In other words, they want to model the Appendix G
baseline building with the old infiltration rate and model the proposed
building with the new infiltration rate.  This will show a good amount
of energy cost savings.

Is this acceptable?  I'm having a difficult time finding any reference
to infiltration rates within Appendix G.

Thanks,

Mark Prince
Affiliated Engineers
5802 Research Park Blvd.