[Bldg-sim] Tools for designers

Raoni Venâncio dos Santos Lima raoniv at ig.com.br
Thu Mar 19 07:24:52 PDT 2009

Zhoulun,

I tottally agree with you, even though I still think that CFD calculations
can be very useful in early and detailing stages of design (in terms of
natural ventilation, air pressure and HVAC insuflation).

What I usually do to consider thermal aspects of ventilation in the energy
model is to calculate heat losses due to natural ventilation and air changes
per hour (I leave in Brazil so...is pretty hot here most time of the year)
in DesignBuilder. However I think you are mentioning something more
sophisticated than that.

In terms of time requirements for these simulations...well that's a problem,
because in design you usually need quick answers to your problems. However,
I still think that this time can be reduced if the models are effectively
simplified in order to overcome specific design dilemmas.

Thank you for your comments,
Raoni