[Bldg-sim] Modelling an eco-roof / green roof

OConnor, Noel noel.oconnor at nuigalway.ie
Mon May 18 15:02:13 PDT 2009

Great question!
We have also run into this item and to my knowledge there is no validated method for a solution in Europe either.

I had heard MIT had done some modelling of same but cannot locate it on the web.

The quantitative benefit of a green roof to the insulative, cooling loads of buildings is very difficult to quantify as the roof constuction, roof media, depth of soil and vegetation, precipitation, temp, humidity and wind all habe to be factored in.

In all cases so far we have just claimed credit for using collected rainwater as grey or black water for washroom use, thereby reducing the buildings consumption of potable water.

Perhaps a topic for a Doctorate study?

Regards
Noel

Noel O Connor