[Bldg-sim] Hygrothermal properties of building materials

JRR energy.wwind at cox.net
Sun May 17 09:06:16 PDT 2009

JRR wrote;

    I have had an energy efficient house since January 1987.
    It is basically a LEED Silver building with 2x6 studs, 1" Expanded
Polystyrene sheathing, fiberglass
    insulation, and a 6 mil Polyethylene vapor barrier. If I were to
repeat it I would use aluminum foil
    backed drywall for the vapor barrier and I would eliminate all
ceiling penetrations on the top floor
    for electrical and lighting. I took 20 hours this January and hunted
down vertical air leaks in the attic.
    The result was a saving of about 400 kwh per month out of 1800 kwh
annual max in  January on this
    4500 sq ft home.