[Bldg-sim] How much fan power included in EER / SEER ratings?

Crockett, Jim Jcrockett at nexant.com
Wed Nov 4 08:11:25 PST 2009

My understanding (from very unofficial sources found while googling) is
that when units are tested per ARI 210/240 (or 340/360), they are tested
with a clean filter and minimal ductwork (total static of around 0.3").
Thus, you would need to back this minimal amount of energy from the EER,
and then add the actual fan energy.

If you simply use the rated EER with no adjustment, and set your supply
fan energy to zero, (as was recommended in the archives), then you will
significantly underestimate your fan energy.

So, is anyone familiar with the ARI 210/240 or 340/360 tests, and know
how much fan energy is included in these tests?  Also, is the included
fan energy different for packaged units vs. split systems?

Thanks,

Jim