[Bldg-sim] Simulation of Central Plant for LEED 2.2 EA C1

Matutinovic, Luka LMatutinovic at halsall.com
Sun Oct 4 21:20:24 PDT 2009

Clark,

I believe the document you are looking for is here:
http://www.usgbc.org/ShowFile.aspx?DocumentID=4176

Let me see if I understand your question correctly: you're not certain what energy rate to apply to the steam or hot water used by the new building since there isn't another example of a hot water or steam plant in the state from which to obtain rates?  If that's the case, you don't need to look for rates.  As Seth pointed out and as far as I know you only need to find the local rate for whatever fuel the CEP is using to generate hot water or steam.  If they are using oil, then the local oil rate (likely the commercial rate, not the residential one) would apply. Ultimately, the CEP is consuming some type of fuel to generate thermal energy and the building is modelled as also consuming the same fuel.  I believe the intent of this methodology is to prevent any skewing of results that might arise from the CEP's abilities to use economies of scale to offer lower rates, or conversely charge premiums for capital investment and maintenance.  This ensures that only the efficiency of the building, the CEP and the distribution systems factors into the EAc1 calculation.

I hope that answers your question.

Cheers,
Luka

Luka Matutinovic, B.A.Sc., LEED® AP