[Bldg-sim] Phd in Daylighting

Paul Grahovac paul.grahovac at prosoco.com
Wed Oct 14 09:43:19 PDT 2009

Kabir

I have found a lack of information and expertise in modeling the thermal
mass energy-saving benefits of exposed interior finished concrete floors
relative to daylighting and HVAC operation.

In this economy, owners are stripping out vinyl tile and carpet and
refinishing the concrete with our Consolideck system to get the low
maintenance, life-cycle cost reduction, and the resulting sustainability
(Wal-Mart is a leader in this) - or, they are specifying exposed
concrete floors in new construction (such as the new Harvard library
administration LEED building).

I commissioned a LEED ASHRAE 90.1 computer modeling firm to demonstrate
what every architect and engineer seems to know and every text I've read
seems to say (that such floors save energy in summer and winter), but
they could not make the modeling software show that.  I have since
learned that other modeling software systems do a better job handling
this.

Given the sustainable aspects of exposed concrete floors, I think
research into the energy benefits relating to daylighting of exposed
concrete floors would make an important contribution to Green building.

We found that modeling the light reflectivity of such floors and its
impact on lighting and HVAC use was less problematic than thermal mass
modeling -- but far from a trivial exercise.  This too could be a worthy
area of research - probably best combined with the thermal mass study.

Paul Grahovac, LEED AP

PROSOCO, Inc.

3741 Greenway Circle

Lawrence, Kansas  66046