[Bldg-sim] Fwd: Sketchup <--> Demeter Feedback/Experience

Malcolm Murray malcolm.murray at lews.uhi.ac.uk
Fri Sep 4 04:23:41 PDT 2009

Hello Mr Caton and all on the BLDG-Sim mailing list,

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions regarding the Demeter tool and
thanks for your continued use of the tool.

As my colleague Donald I Macdonald posted on the Bldg-Sim mailing list
yesterday, we have now released a new version of our SketchUp plugin now
called LiveEnergy as part of our Greenspace Live suite. The currently
released version of the LiveEnergy is entitled LiveEnergy Modeller and
allows for the import and export of gbXML files from Google SketchUp,
which can then be used in a variety of tools such as our own LiveEnergy
EPC tool and other energy analysis software. LiveEnergy Modeller does
not currently have GBS enabled directly from the interface, but this is
something we may introduce at a later date, we are also working on a
version to work with TRNSYS (for more details see the paper recently
presented at the Building Simulation 2009 conference:
http://www.ibpsa.org/proceedings/BS2009/BS09_1389_1396.pdf).

We have also released training materials (including tutorial videos) on
our website, and have set up a new discussion forum. These can all be
accessed on our website at: *http://greenspacelive.com* where the tools
can also be downloaded.

I will now address some of the feedback / issues highlighted in your email.

    * *Compatibility with other SketchUp plugins:* We have made some
      efforts in this latest version of the plugin to package the
      codebase more effectively, so that we shouldn't have as many
      issues with incompatibilites with other plugins. However, we would
      be grateful if any compatibility issues arising with other plugins
      could be reported on our forum so that we can be aware of them.
      There is also now an option to disable LiveEnergy Modeller from
      the Google Extensions manager (in the settings window) without
      uninstalling the plugin.
    * *Space Selection:* We have now introduced a "semi-automatic"
      method of selecting spaces. You can now use our "Select Space"
      tool to simply click on the floor surface of each space and then
      the enclosing walls should be automatically selected. Spaces are
      then confirmed by pressing the "Confirm Space" button. This also
      allows you to manually select which surfaces go into the space so
      that the user still has the same level of control as before. A
      "Find Spaces" command is an interesting idea and something we may
      include in a future version.
    * *Cube Interface Size:* Our new LiveEnergy interface has been
      cleaned up, and is no longer a 3D cube. The interface is also much
      smaller by default, but can be maximised when you need to get into
      the detailed user interface / construction libraries etc. Much of
      the emphasis when building a model is now on using SketchUp
      materials and tools to create the energy model, and not so much in
      the LiveEnergy interface.
    * *GBS Operation:* GBS operation has been disabled in this current
      version of LiveEnergy. The reason why it will no longer work with
      Demeter, is that the URLs for GBS have changed to Autodesk ones.
      We have not updated Demeter to account for this, as we have been
      concentrating on developing the new LiveEnergy Modeller.
    * *XML File Extension:  *This is has proved to be a challenge due to
      the SketchUp api, but is something we will develop.
    * *Installer Defaults to SketchUp 6:* The LiveEnergy installer now
      defaults to SketchUp 7.
    * *Geometry Problems in the gbXML:* The gbXML creation should now be
      significantly improved.
    * *Plane Up / Plane Down etc:* These options were designed to raise
      and lower the active section plane when assigning spaces to the
      internal surfaces etc. This has now been replaced by a single tool
      "Move Plane" that allows you to move the active plane up and down
      using the mouse without deselecting surfaces. The "Space
      Definition" window is no more (although there is a list of spaces
      in the "Building Envelope" window).
    * *Surface Definition:* This has now been replaced by a new system
      using the SketchUp materials pallette that we think is more
      intuitive and should be more familiar to SketchUp users - you now
      "paint" the surface type onto each surface. As a way of
      automatically doing this is something we can look into for a
      future version.

News and updates about our tools as well as support information etc can
all be found on our new website at http://greenspacelive.com

All our tools are currently at an "alpha" stage of development, and are
currently all available free of charge on this basis until the 31st of
October 2009. Anyone can now sign up to our website and get access to
our whole suite including LiveEnergy Modeller and LiveEnergy EPC. We
would greatly appreciate your feedback regarding these tools.

I hope I have answered all your questions, but if you have any more
enquiries please feel free to get in touch, or post an enquiry on our forum.

Best Regards and thanks for your interest,
Malcolm Murray

Malcolm Murray
PhD Student
Greenspace Research