[Bldg-sim] LEED Comments for EAC1 - Optimize Energy Performance

Chris Jones cj at enersave.ca
Thu Apr 1 09:28:13 PDT 2010

The first comment seems like the reviewer isn't
carefully reviewing the submission.  It is fairly
simple to check the proposed sim file and the
Budget case sim file to see if each zone in the
proposed case is modelled as a single zone system
in the Budget case.  I have seen this comment
before and I am not sure what additional
documentation the review might want to make it "clearer".

Comment 2: I always setup a spreadsheet showing
my calculation of total fan power for the proposed case and the Budget case.

Comment 3: The 20°F differential is the
difference between the room set point and the
supply air temperature.  Re Autosizing supply air
flows: I always autosize the Baseline air flows
based on the 20°F supply air to room air
temperature difference (G3.1.2.8).  I set the
heat sizing ratio to 1.25 and the cool sizing
ratio to 1.15 as per G3.1.2.2.  Never had a
problem with this approach.  I suppose you could
do a sizing run with those sizing ratios then
explicitly enter the resulting supply air flows,
heating and cooling capacities but it would
amount to almost the same results.

At 02:56 AM 4/1/2010, Ashraf Khan wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I received some comments from USGBC regarding my
>project initial review, in Credit EAC1 –
>Optimize Energy Performance. Please advise me
>how I can solve below mentioned comments in the review submission,
>
>    * It is unclear whether one Baseline
> Constant Volume system was modeled per thermal
> zone in the Baseline Case as required. Please
> verify that one system was modeled per zone,
> and that the Baseline System efficiency for
> each zone was modeled consistently with the
> capacity for the Baseline System serving that
> zone. (please guide me how to solve this comment)
>
>    * Section G3.1.2.9 describes calculation
> used to determine the fan power in the baseline
> building. Please list the total fan volume,
> capacities, and fan power for the Baseline and
> Proposed system. (As my system doesn’t have any
> Return fan, so i am dividing the ASHRAE total
> Fan power by 70% supply, 20% return, 10%
> exhaust based on my understanding. Please guide me if any changes required)
>
>    * Based on supporting document, supply fan
> volumes of some of the zones in the baseline
> design appear to be modeled as “AUTOSIZED”. For
> the baseline design the fan supply volumes
> should be calculated based on the system
> capacity and a temperature differential of
> 20°F, as set forth in Section G3.1.2.8.(Please
> guide me Where can we enter the temperature
> diff, is in Cooling Coil or any other ways.)
>
>Thanks & Regards,
>Khan

Chris Jones
14 Oneida Avenue