[Bldg-sim] Transformers in Energy Model

Sami, Vikram Vikram.Sami at perkinswill.com
Wed Aug 11 13:31:25 PDT 2010

You can model transformer sizes and losses in the detailed edit mode when you open up you electric meter.

I have to confess I have not modeled a transformer in a model yet (the default is not to model a transformer and the loss associated). You can specify a loss part load curve too:

TRANS-LOSS-FPLR
Takes the U-name of a curve that gives the multiplier on TRANSFORMER-LOSS as a function of the part load ratio (current hour load on the meter divided by TRANSFORMER-SIZE). The transformer loss is calculated hourly as
          (TRANSFORMER-SIZE) x (TRANSFORMER-LOSS) x (TRANS-LOSS-FPLR value)
The load is the sum of that due to all directly connected equipment and, for TYPE = UTILITY and BUILDING, other ELEC-METERs. The default curve is linear from 0.1 at zero load to 1.0 at full load.

Like I said I haven't done it yet - good luck. Let me know how it turns out

Vikram Sami, LEED AP
Sustainable Design Analyst
1382 Peachtree St. NE, Atlanta, GA 30309