[Bldg-sim] Modeling active heating windows

chen yu chenyu73 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 09:41:19 PDT 2010

I guess a tiny little space (although it does not exist in the product) near
to the heated window panel should be built up as the heating source to heat
up the window. U values of the adjacent layers (I suppose they are all glaze
or air) should be adjusted to accommodate the radiant heating impacts. It
could be done in IES VE or TAS. I guess the surface temperature control
should also be considered in the simulation (It can be achieved in Apache
HVAC in IES VE).

Alternatively, radiant fraction of the room (considering the overall surface
temp. of enclosure and glass) should be adjusted to accommodate the impact
of heated glass. It would be simple but more empirical data is necessary to
support the calculation of the radiant fraction. Bear in mind, this method
does not cover the energy consumption required in glass. Post-procession is
required to compute the overall energy requirements.

Cheers,
Cheney