[Bldg-sim] SAP Responsiveness

Ralph Evins Ralph.Evins at BuroHappold.com
Thu Dec 16 15:53:35 PST 2010

The responsiveness value appears as 'R' in the space heating
calculation.

Specifically it is in the equation for Tsc (internal temperature without
heating) in Table 9b page 143 (of SAP 2009).

An unresponsive system (low R value) results in higher average
temperatures and thus greater heating load.

An R value of 1 instead of 0.5 can reduce the space heating load by 10%.

Ralph Evins

Research Engineer
Computational Simulation and Analysis | Sustainability and Alternative
Technologies
Buro Happold Ltd   |   17 Newman Street   |   London   |   W1T 1PD   |
United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7927 9700  Ext: 5309   |   Fax: +44 (0) 20 7927 9701
www.burohappold.com <blocked::http://www.burohappold.com>