[Bldg-sim] (Un)Conditioned Spaces?

omoltay at mimtarch.com omoltay at mimtarch.com
Thu Feb 18 12:34:56 PST 2010

Dear All,

In my model I have areas in the core of the building that do not include
any HVAC equipment except exhaust fans (ie. toilets, pantries, storage
rooms)and that are in the normal sense unconditioned since there is no
control over space temperatures.

Reading ASHRAE User's Manual, one however gets the idea that such spaces
need to be modeled as conditioned for simulation (it says somewhere that
all spaces in climate zones 3-8 need to be assumed to be conditioned).

I am now at a loss on how to model these. For the sake of simplification,
I have also grouped such areas together (for example, three toilets, one
pantry and corridors together in one zone).

If I model these as "conditioned" in eQuest, am I supposed to assign them
to a HVAC system? Perhaps to the HVAC system of the neighboring
conditioned spaces? Can you please share your experiences with modelling
such areas? How should I model their exhaust fans?

Also, any experiences with assigning spaces "unconditioned" and getting
approval by USGBC?

Thank you,

Omer Moltay, LEED AP