[Bldg-sim] Fw: How to estimate performance of HVAC system in life cycle analysis?

James V Dirkes II, PE jvd2pe at tds.net
Thu Feb 18 06:00:03 PST 2010

My opinion:

Performance of well-maintained equipment remains much the same as when it was new and can actually improve.  Performance of poorly maintained equipment can deteriorate within months by 20+%.  I cannot imagine any study / research which could accurately paint a picture of “typical” that would be useful in energy modeling. For existing buildings, I measure the performance of critical and larger equipment.

The Building Performance Team
James V. Dirkes II, P.E., LEED AP
1631 Acacia Drive NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49504