[Bldg-sim] WINDOWS 6.2

D. Charlie Curcija curcija at designbuildersoftware.com
Thu Feb 18 05:17:22 PST 2010

Clarification: It is not enough to set standard in OPTICS.  Think of OPTICS
as virtual glass laboratory.  It is used to define individual glass layers
and standard file in OPTICS is used to get broad band (integrated)
solar-optical properties.  However, that is for informational purposes only,
as the main purpose of OPTICS is to provide spectral data for individual
glass layers.  In order to correctly calculate glazing system solar-optical
properties (Transmittance, reflectance, absorptance, SHGC, VT) in WINDOW 5
or 6, you need to set correct spectrum standard in WINDOW as well
(Preferences/Optical Data/Standards File), otherwise the results will be
incorrect regardless of what was used in OPTICS.

Also, OPTICS is necessary only if you are creating glass layer that does not
exist in WINDOW glass library (such as laminates, applied films, measured
performance of new glasses, etc.).  Otherwise, it is an unnecessary extra
step.

Charlie

D. Charlie Curcija
DesignBuilder Software
16 Bridge St.
Millers Falls, MA 01349

Tel: (413) 256-4647
Fax: (413) 256-4823
cell: (413) 575-3487
email:  <mailto:curcija at designbuildersoftware.com>
curcija at designbuildersoftware.com
web:  <http://www.designbuildersoftware.com/>
http://www.designbuildersoftware.com

STATEMENT OF CONFIDENTIALITY
contain confidential or privileged information.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify DesignBuilder Software immediately at either +1
(413) 256-4647 or at  <mailto:home at designbuildersoftware.com>
home at designbuildersoftware.com, and destroy all copies of this message and
any attachments.