[Bldg-sim] [Equest-users] Precision Cooler - Big Disadvantage in Comparison to Baseline?

omoltay at mimtarch.com omoltay at mimtarch.com
Mon Feb 22 12:06:48 PST 2010

Hi David,

Thank you for taking the time to answer. Well, I was also curious about
the COP of "1", double checked it with the manufacturer's representative
and it turns out that they misprinted the brochures with EER instead of
COP. (EER = 3,41 when they wanted to say COP = 3,41).

Now we are not penalized any more.

Thanks,

Omer Moltay, LEED AP

As far as assumptions go you'll have to evaluate for yourself if the
nameplate power consumption is the appropriate value for 24/7 operation.

That CIR is from LEED 2.1 which used ASHRAE 90.1-1999 and the energy cost
budget method, where process energy (at whatever percentage) was not
included in the savings calculation.  Personally I agree that cooling
provided only for a process, could also be treated as process energy.
However the newer versions of LEED specifically include process energy in
the savings calculations.  If you are using LEED 2.1, go ahead and stop
here.

This CIR and methodology do not apply to LEED NC 2.2 or 3.0 which include
all process energy.  25% is a minimum, and the project should include the
expected amount of process energy if it is greater than 25%.  Treatment of
the server cooling system as process energy won't gain you anything...the
percentage calculation will be the same under 2.2 or 3.0.

The part of your question that I don't understand is if your project is
using LEED, why select cooling equipment with a COP of 1.0?  Regarding
your cooling system, it sounds like the equipment selection is not in line
with the project goals rather than receiving a penalty from the rating
system.  If the selected precision unit is really the only option, it will
have to be made up for elsewhere in the project.

David

David Eldridge, PE
LEED(r) AP BD+C, HBDP

Grumman/Butkus Associates | 820 Davis Street, STE 300 | Evanston, IL 60201
| Ph: (847) 328-3555, ext 224 | Fax: (847) 328-4550

Energy Consultants and Design Engineers