[Bldg-sim] LEED & Natural Ventilation

Chris floodyc at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 11:12:41 PDT 2010

All,

we regularly design and model buildings which rely in part on natural
ventilation as a source of free cooling. The issue we are often faced with
is how to capture this benefit when performing a LEED Appendix G analysis.
Appendix G states that all conditioned spaces must have BOTH heating and
cooling. We would like to remove mechanical coolig in the proposed design
building and thus gain benefit when comparing to the mechanical cooling
system in the reference baseline building.

Has anyone tackled this issue and come to a satisfactory resolution?

Thanks for your help.

--
Chris Flood BSc (Eng)
Senior Building Analyst & Energy Modeller