[Bldg-sim] Small building that wants to get LEED Platinum

David Bryan dbryan at amerindian.com
Mon Jul 12 09:13:31 PDT 2010

To reduce refrigeration loads, you might want to look at hardware that
will improve the efficiency of walk-in coolers - like FreeAire.

This product also has the capability of introducing outdoor air directly
into the coolers to replace refrigeration entirely when the outdoor air
is cold enough.

Dave Bryan, AIA, LEED AP

Third Level Design

2512 Euclid Place

Minneapolis, MN 55405

The process is:

Reduce Loads

Meet the remaining loads more efficiently

Green The supply

Run your base model. Look at the load distribution and then make decisions.

For a restaurant (especially one that small) - I'm guessing process
loads (cooking & Refrigeration)) are a huge component of this. Address
that first - are there more efficient ways of cooking? Better equipment?
Refrigeration?

Here's a pie chart from LBNL's building IQ website that looks at
components from a dataset of measured restaurants. Cooking &
Refrigeration are 62% of the total energy use. You're not going to get
to 30% without addressing this.

Once you address the large loads, the rest is relatively easy.

*Vikram Sami*, LEED AP

Sustainable Design Analyst

1382 Peachtree St. NE, Atlanta, GA 30309

t: 404-443-7462    f: 404.892.5823       e: vikram.sami at perkinswill.com
  www.perkinswill.com <http://www.perkinswill.com/>

*Perkins+Will.*  Ideas + buildings that honor the broader goals of society