[Bldg-sim] Prototype Commercial Building?

Field, Kristin Kristin.Field at nrel.gov
Thu Jul 15 13:06:19 PDT 2010

Morgan,

DOE has produced several prototypical commercial building models called reference buildings (formerly known as benchmarks) that include 16 different building types.  It sounds like you might be looking for a building similar to the "medium office" one.  These models are in EnergyPlus and are fully functional as is.  If you prefer to use DOE2, though, there are "scorecard" spreadsheets that list all the inputs (in SI units) to the models.  You could take those and build your own DOE2 model.

The models are located at:
http://www1.eere.energy.gov/buildings/commercial_initiative/reference_buildings.html

If you do want to use them in EnergyPlus, note the version number that appears in the .idf, and be sure you're using a matching version.

Kristin M. Field
Engineer II - Mechanical
Commercial Buildings Group
Electricity, Resources, and Building Systems Integration Center
National Renewable Energy Laboratory
1617 Cole Blvd., mailstop 5202
Golden, CO  80401
303.384.7376 phone