[Bldg-sim] Parametric analysis/modeling and Live analysis/modeling

Haider haidermkhan at ymail.com
Wed Jun 2 17:30:00 PDT 2010

Hi Diwanshu,

Since you are posting to this group I am going to give an example related to buildings. Let me start with modeling. You can mathematically model the physic of heat transfer in a building. This is generally referred to as modeling. The advantage of this is that you can simulate the heat transfer in the building without actually have to build it or build a scale model. The inputs of the building model such as window solar heat gain coefficient etc. can be varied within some constraints to determine the disadvantage/advantage of that on the building energy consumption thereby optimizing the building to consume the least amount of energy. The varying of window solar heat coefficient in the above example would be referred to as parametric analysis. This is a simplistic yet time consuming methodology of optimizing the building energy efficiency feature.

Hope this helps.

Haider Khan.
ICF International.