[Bldg-sim] question

Chris Yates chris at zed-uk.com
Fri Jun 25 03:42:27 PDT 2010

Mike,

It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you need LEED or
Ashrae 90.1 analysis then DOE, Equest and E+ seem to be the only ones
that handle the waterside hvac in the prescribed manner. They are all free.

TAS now has an A90.1 tool. It looks easy to use but as I haven't used it
I can't speak authoritativley.

I heard of users modelling for A90.1 with alternative tools whilst
handling the waterside with seperate calculations. Of these tools IES is
probably the easiest and fastest simulating. If you do not require code
compliance I would probably recommend IES as the commercial option for
large buildings.

I hope that this helps.

Chris