[Bldg-sim] Natural Ventilation using FDS / OpenFOAM

Paul Carey paul at zed-uk.com
Mon Mar 1 15:26:24 PST 2010

Shariq

We have used NIST to carry out evaluations of nat vent designs fairly
successfully. Obviously it goes without saying that boundary
conditions are very important here. We have open foam as well but
haven't carried out nat vent designs in it yet.

Similarly to IES the offering from Designbuilder is a good tool which
we have used a number of times for such buildings. It uses the
energyplus simulation engine and the results of your simulation can be
linked to the CFD model.

I am due to give a webinar on the 23 march on it's use for this
purpose and I would suggest it might be useful for you to register for
it. I believe further details are available on the designbuilder
website (www.DesignBuilder.co.uk).  This software is very
competetively priced and has a very intuitive GUI & modelling process.

ESPr might offer another option but I can't offer any advice on it's
Cfd capabilities though I do believe it has them albeit fairly crude.
It's thermal modelling engine is open source and it has some advanced
modelling capabilities beyond many commercial tools. It's user
interface is in my own opinion quite hard to use.  But if you are
happy with nist and openfoam my guess us that text based modelling
doesn't phase you.

Hope this is helpful.

Kind Regards
Paul