[Bldg-sim] Looking for Real-time Weather

David Reddy david.j.reddy1 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 20:14:15 PST 2010

Jiakang-

Besides NCDC data, I would suggest NWS METAR data
<http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/metar.shtml>.  It is updated hourly,
however, I believe the oldest data readily available is 24hrs.   It has
many of the weather variables needed for hourly simulations, the biggest
exception is solar data (only sky cover and visibility are reported for
most stations).  However, you could probably generate estimated solar
data using one of the sky model algorithms that have been developed; I
don't believe the EnergyPlus weather file program will yet generate
solar data for you from sky cover (please correct me if I am wrong).

A nifty program I recently found for automatically downloading this data
real-time is call METARs Downloader (I have no affiliation with the
vendor).   I am quite satisfied with this software, although I think
there are others available or you could create your own.

David Reddy

360 Analytics
Building Energy Analysis Consultants
mail:	12354 16th Ave NE, Seattle, WA 98125
phone:	206.406.9856
email:	david at 360-Analytics.com