[Bldg-sim] [Equest-users] Hrly Solar Data

Umesh Atre umesh at innovativedesign.net
Tue Mar 9 10:08:51 PST 2010

Eric,
Try NCDC @ http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/climatedata.html#hourly

________________________________

From: bldg-sim-bounces at lists.onebuilding.org
[mailto:bldg-sim-bounces at lists.onebuilding.org] On Behalf Of Justin
Spencer
Sent: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 12:43 PM
To: Steve Mignogna
Cc: Eric Johnson; equest-users; bldg-sim
Subject: Re: [Bldg-sim] [Equest-users] Hrly Solar Data

There are a variety of alternate sources for solar radiation data that
are collected by state and federal agencies.  CIMIS is a great source
for weather data in California, and there is a similar network in
Arizona, whose name escapes me at the moment. We have successfully built
weather files for eQuest using both. You are likely to have a hard time
finding measured direct normal solar radiation data for New Haven --
that's a difficult measurement to take and there aren't all that many
sites (I think NOAA measures this at something like 50 sites across the
US, then there are various somewhat random research stations that might
give you additional options).  Are you sure you need measured direct
normal solar?  That isn't likely to be any more useful modeled direct
normal solar based on global horizontal solar and date/time/lat/long.

Sorry, I don't have a direct answer for you, but if you hunt around, you
should be able to find some horizontal solar data that's not too far off
from your location.

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 9:57 AM, Steve Mignogna <smignogna at gmail.com>