[Bldg-sim] How to model a VAV-system with TRNSYS

Christian Bauer 730093 at gmx.net
Sun May 30 03:46:00 PDT 2010

How can I model a VAV-system for different zones with TRNSYS (15/16/17)? Is
there a tutorial or example?

Is there a certain type, which works together with the building model Type
56?

At the moment I do a work-around, but I think results won’t be as accurate
as they should.

I divide the model in to real part and a fictive part. The real model is
supplied with the minimum outdoor air rate and a fixed temperature. The
heating or cooling load make the QHEAT and QCOOL (output of Type 56).

Then I calculate the necessary mass flow of air which is needed to provide
the load calculated as QHEAT and QCOOL. Then I can calculate the real
fan-power. I think the operative temperature is wrong because in reality
more air enters the room and I´m always one time-step behind. If I have
several zones needing different supply temperatures it becomes complicated..

So I would really appreciate if somebody could help me! Maybe it would also
help me if you describe how other simulation-programs handle it.

Thanks

Chrisb!