[Bldg-sim] modeling chilled beams in eQuest

Kendra Tupper ktupper at rmi.org
Thu May 6 09:39:51 PDT 2010

Oh, I know its not the same - I just couldn't come up with anything that
solved both problems! Trading one evil for another I suppose.....

This is an active chilled beam system in an office building, so the outside
air supply is varying based on cooling load and CO2 sensors - the mechanical
engineer is used VSD ECM motor series FPBs to modulate the outside air
delivered to the chilled beams at the zone level. so it would be impossible
to manually schedule the outside air according to load (that's why we're
using an energy model!). Modeling constant volume induction units conditions
far more outside air than in the actual design, so I figured it might be
more important to account for this, vs the chilled beam cooling at the zone
level.

Kendra Tupper, PE, LEED AP
Senior Consultant
Built Environment Team

Rocky Mountain Institute  |  T  303-567-8641 |  F  303-245-7213  |
www.rmi.org