[Bldg-sim] equest zoning and spaces

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Wed May 12 14:16:49 PDT 2010

Hi Jacob!

1.       Yes.  Each space may be assigned distinct and separate
equipment load(s) and schedule(s).  Zones are simply spaces or groups of
spaces, and they exist for assignment to HVAC systems.

2.       You can and probably should define the footprint of all of your
spaces in the DD wizard.  Draw out the shell and spaces using shared
single lines for your CAD reference.  Initially trace out and define
each space as a "zone," and later in the wizard shell screens you can
tie them all together so they'll all be a single zone upon exiting the
wizards and entering detailed mode.  If you should miss that step it's
also easy to reassign defined spaces into a single zone once in
detailed, but you'd have additional sets of wizard-generated schedules
to work around.  If you have multiple shells whose spaces you wish to
tie together, I think you will have to do that in detailed mode.

3.       Well worded questions, by the way!

~Nick

PS: eQuest-specific questions may receive different and/or faster (?)

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER

25501 west valley parkway

olathe ks 66061