[Bldg-sim] Right sizing of equipment aka sleeping giant

Glen Anderson ganderson at etcgrp.com
Wed May 26 07:53:22 PDT 2010

Taking this discussion back to energy simulation and its impact on
design.  Over-sizing systematically occurs but from an energy
perspective it is not always bad.  One of our jobs as energy modelers is
to identify the impacts of over-sizing and to drive the design to
maximum annual efficiency.   So if the designer is going to oversize the
pump, we need to try and quantify the savings potential of including a
VFD for balancing instead of using throttling valves.  If the designer
is going to oversize the boiler, we need to justify to the owner the
incremental costs for purchasing the most efficient boiler setup, which
could be a boiler with a high turndown ratio and oxygen trim controls or
multiple smaller boilers.

Also, we may want equipment/systems to be oversized in some situations.
Our job as modelers is to quantify the energy impacts of design
decisions, which may include over-sizing.  And what does over-sizing
always mean?  Should pipes be sized for 1, 2 or 3ft loss/100 ft, should
ducts be sized for , .1, .2, or .3 ft loss/100 ft, should air handler
coils be sized for 200 fpm or 400 fpm?

Yes over-sizing costs money to the owner up front, but when designed,
installed, and operated correctly - in some situations over-sizing can
be the most efficient design with the most attractive life cycle cost.

Glen R Anderson, PE

(801) 278-1927

Cell (801) 244-7654

1997 S 1100 E Suite 201