[Bldg-sim] Perimeter Radiator Insulation

Walter Elyon walterelyon at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 10:47:56 PDT 2010

Hi,

As a novice in the modeling world I was confronted with the issue of
Perimeter Insulation behind steam radiators in New York City.  Many of the
older buildings had asbestos behind the steam radiators which later had to
be removed.   Recently, these perimeter insulations were replaced by rigid
insulation board.  One of our subcontractors modeled this newly added
perimeter insulation as a ½ F decrease in room temperature (in eQuest).

As this was not deemed satisfactory another approach was chosen:

1.       Create new Global Parameter, Rad_Wall_UValue, set value at 0.209.

2.       In Radiator Steam Loop, Losses Tab, Supply UA, Edit/View User
Expression Input value is:  (5*3)*900*#PA("Rad_Wall_UValue") , where (5*3) =
insulation dimensions, 900 = insulation count.

3.       In parametric runs choose new Rad_Wall_UValue as 0.122.

Any ideas for a different approach, since this overestimates the heating
costs.

Walter Elyon.