[Bldg-sim] Automatic Lighting Shutoff Mandatory Provision Question

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Mon Oct 4 07:38:08 PDT 2010

Jaigath,

Appendix G allows us to take credit for automatic controls in addition
to (beyond) what's required in 9.4.1 for minimum compliance.  One of the
options here is to have programmable (time-of-day) shutoff for interior
lighting circuits, and you can infer from between Table G3.1 and G3.2 of
Appendix G that baseline models are taken to feature only such timeclock
controls for automatic shutoff.  Further, it's taken that the lighting
scheduling being kept identical between the proposed and baseline
adequately reflects the minimum requirements, so you aren't supposed to
try to explicitly model the programmable shutoff.

If you have occupancy sensors throughout a building which only requires
programmable shutoff, that's an example of having automatic controls
beyond what 9.4.1 requires - and you'd get to take 10% off your proposed
LPD in all spaces where such short-term shutoff isn't already required
(per following section 9.4.1.2).

Note Table G3.2 also has a corresponding distinction between building
smaller than and larger than 5,000ft2 - offering more credit for
buildings using a means of automatic shutoff where no such controls are
even minimally required.

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER