[Bldg-sim] "Horses mouth" question.

Bishop, Bill wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com
Mon Oct 11 12:19:07 PDT 2010

John,

Nay. I believe you should be leaving the emissivity alone (or changing
it only slightly). By decreasing the emissivity, you make it more
difficult for the roof to get rid of heat that is absorbed. White/cool
roofs have higher reflectance. You want to change the absorptance (= 1 -
reflectance) of the roof, which is entered in the roof construction in
eQUEST. See my previous email, attached, for more info.

Regards,
Bill

William Bishop, PE, BEMP, LEED(r) AP | Pathfinder Engineers & Architects
LLP
Mechanical Engineer

134 South Fitzhugh Street
Rochester, NY 14608
T: (585) 325-6004 Ext. 114
F: (585) 325-6005
wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com
www.pathfinder-ea.com
P   Sustainability - the forest AND the trees. P