[Bldg-sim] Tacoma Washington General Climate

Eurek, John S NWO John.S.Eurek at usace.army.mil
Tue Sep 7 11:20:47 PDT 2010

To the group,

	I am starting an HVAC design project at Tacoma Washington (I live in
Nebraska).  I can look up the ASHRAE design conditions, but I am wondering if
somebody can give me a clearer picture of the climate.  (This goes with the
change in thinking between designing for worst conditions and designing for
year around energy savings.)
	I am looking for things to consider in my design.

Examples:  Here in Nebraska it gets really cold and hot and humid.  Due to
the jet stream the temperature can swing from the 20s to the 70s within a
week so the design must be able to react.
	I also finished a design in Colorado which I know is arid and dry.
Humidity usually a problem.

	I don't know exactly what I'm looking for, I am just not familiar at
all about what to expect.  I think the humidity issue is something I would
like to know better.  (this may determine if I go with DX or chilled water.)

Thank you for any help,

John Eurek PE, LEED AP
Mechanical Engineer,
US Army Corps of Engineers