[Bldg-sim] EPAct tax credits for private non-profits andmultifamily

David Reddy david.j.reddy1 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 19:26:51 PDT 2010

  Thanks for all the feedback.  After I submitted this, I did some more
searching and found this list of FAQs on the credit:

http://www.efficientbuildings.org/about_the_provision.html

Although I have not yet gone to EPAct to confirm, this information is
inline with comments made by others.  Here are the some applicable FAQs
along the lines of the questions I posed:

*What types of buildings will qualify? What types of expenditures will
qualify?*

Section 1331 of H.R. 6 provides that energy-efficient commercial
building property is defined as property that is:

   1. Installed on or in any building located in the United States that
      is within the scope of Standard 90.1-2001, Energy Standard for
      Buildings Except Low-Rise Residential Buildings, of the American
      Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air Conditioning Engineers
      and the Illuminating Engineering Society of North America;
   2. Installed as part of (i) the interior lighting systems, (ii) the
      heating, cooling, ventilation, and hot water systems, or (iii) the
      building envelope; and
   3. Certified as being installed as part of a plan designed to reduce
      the total annual energy and power costs of interior lighting
      systems, heating, cooling, ventilation, and hot water systems of
      the building by 50 percent or more when compared to a reference
      building, which meets the minimum requirements of Standard
      90.1-2001 (which came into effect on April 2, 2003).

*Are churches eligible for the deduction?*

No. Although religious buildings are in 90.1 and they don't pay taxes,
they are not government buildings, so churches don't qualify.

Thanks again for comments!
-DR