[Bldg-sim] SITE PLAN MODEL

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Wed Sep 29 15:02:36 PDT 2010

I'd also support the suggestion to look into Sketchup, alongside the
IES-VE free plugin for sketchup.

The tool is ideally used on very simple geometries ("blocks" sound
perfect), and will let you observe the effects of some of the earliest
design decisions - orientation, site location, comparing different
building massing and glazing configurations - in a time-efficient manner
once you have your feet wet.  There are a series of short videos on
youtube (I think linked from the IES website) that do a great job of
giving you a primer before you get started.

I'd also advise on simply planning to dump the models in favor of
eQuest/Trace when the time comes to investigate more in-depth/detailed
items... unless you happen to have a copy of IES's suite lying around
gathering dust of course =).  What I'm getting at is I've had very
little luck trying to take sketchup work and move it into another
workflow.

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER