[Bldg-sim] ASHRAE 90.1 Appendix G3.1.2.2

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Tue Apr 5 13:45:11 PDT 2011

Milda,

Just as you can use a hammer to both drive nails and extract them, all building energy simulation software is simply a tool that can be used for very different means.

If you wish to use such software to aid in design/selection of HVAC equipment, then fundamentally you are arriving at design capacities by calculating design heating/cooling loads.  These use design heating/cooling weather conditions which are fundamentally different from the hourly averaged (over decades) conditions in a TMY weather file.

If you wish to use such software to evaluate system behavior over time, that’s a very different endgame.  A system that is 100% properly sized for capacity at design conditions can easily have “unmet hours” as a result of something beyond capacity.  Many factors independent of capacity come into play for hourly simulations including system setback/warmup functions, economizer operation, load schedules of all sorts, part-load performance curves and sensor/thermostat settings.  These all can determine whether a zone’s conditions are met or not for the hour, in spite of whether a system is properly sized for design conditions.

Some software is specific to load calculations and assisting in HVAC sizing.  Some software is specifically targeted at energy modeling to simulate system behavior over time.  Some software is intended/appropriate for both functions, to varying degrees.  It’s up to the end-user to define what she/he is trying to accomplish, and what tool of choice is best for the job at hand.

~Nick

PS:  It appears you may have missed my response following Varun’s specific to 90.1 and “safety factors” last week – I’ve attached just in case ;).

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER

Smith & Boucher Engineers

25501 west valley parkway