[Bldg-sim] M&V, Energy Model

Stuart Shell sshell at rdgusa.com
Sun Apr 10 20:38:39 PDT 2011

Thanks Jeff for the great references for this 'overview' information. I thought you (or someone) might also be able to point to some overview reading regarding schematic energy analysis tools and M&V as a service.

I'm assuming that the mid-sized firm where I work is not unique regarding our challenge to learn more about actual building performance (signed the 2030 carbon challenge). We consult with engineers and in house focus primarily on architecture and landscape. So we use tools like Vasari, Revit, and Green Building Studio to approximate EUI at a massing level, then hand off the energy analysis to the pros (our engineers tend to use HAP or Trace). Our goal with these tools is to understand the relative energy performance of different massing and fenestration designs. While they are nice and simple for us architects, they don't seem to produce detailed reports that we can share with our engineers to accomplish a sense of confidence in the model. However, we are also concerned that learning more sophisticated software (IES, Ecotect, EnergyPlus, eQuest) might not actually improve our design. My question is if there is a relatively recent summary of energy analysis tools available and how they relate to schematic design? Bigger picture, what really needs to occur in the AEC industry to execute competent energy design?

The second question is similar, but regarding M&V. We have seen how third-party commissioning can have a huge impact on performance. We have also started to collect utility information from some of our clients with the intent to better understand actual performance. While we specify numerous meters to track energy consumption, we have not actually had a client follow through with M&V at the level of IPMVP (due to the cost of this service). So we are struggling to gain experience with calibrated energy models and what they can tell us about our initial design assumptions. Is M&V a service that really helps someone operating a 30,000 sf building, or is it more a way to close the loop on design in the hope of doing better next time? Is there a summary of the rationale for M&V, and best practices for delivering this service?

I appreciate that these are pretty broad questions - any reading suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Stuart Shell, AIA, CDT
LEED AP BD+C
RDG Planning & Design

900 Farnam on the Mall